Built in 1892 the Historic FirstEnergy Powerhouse once provided power for the Woodland and Westside Street Railway Company. With the massive proliferation of the automobile during the 1920’s the building closed. After that time the vase building became home to a barrel reconditioning plant and later a warehouse. In 1975 plans for a multi-million dollar project were proposed, but the project fell through after funding was unable to be secured. The FirstEnergy Powerhouse was abandoned and sat deteriorating without any hope of renovation until the mid-eighties when Jacobs Investments, Inc. purchased the building. With millions of dollars spent on renovations, not only on the FirstEnergy PowerHouse but also the old Sugar Warehouse, the Nautica Entertainment Complex was created and brought life back to the once deserted property. Now The FirstEnergy PowerHouse is listed on the National Register of Historic building.